Kalomo cautions against fire risks
ANDREW MUKOMA writes
WITH the freezing weather in Kalomo District of Southern Province at its peak, the local authority has cautioned residents against leaving their braziers and heaters on overnight.
Kalomo District Council Division Fire Officer, Mubita Machakube, urged residents to take necessary fire precautionary measures during the cold season to avoid fire accidents.
Mr Machakube told the Daily Nation that most residents would be exposed to extreme cold weather but that, it should not subject them to leaving their braziers and heaters on.
He said instead, residents must turn to alternative measures of keeping themselves warm other than braziers and heaters.
“Kalomo is cold and most residents will be exposed to extremely cold temperatures which might force them to use heating appliances to try and warm themselves which might be dangerous if they are used unsafely,” Mr Machakube explained.
He also discouraged residents to sleep while candles were on as this could lead to avoidable fire outbreaks.
Mr Machakube added that during this time, residents should ensure that inflammable materials were not stored too close to heaters.
He said so far, the district has recorded two fire accidents.