SUN REPORTER writes
A 21 year old man of Chienge district, in Luapula Province, has died while trying to rescue his seven months pregnant sister from a burning house.
Chienge District Commissioner Davies Kasongole confirmed the incident which happened at Kamansansa Village in Chief Puta’s area around 11:00 hours on Monday.
Mr Kasongole named the deceased as John Mwaka and his sister as 35-year-old Susan Chabu, both of Kasamansansa Village.
He disclosed that Mwaka died at Chiengi District Hospital from the 90 percent burns he sustained while trying to save his sister who survived with 60 percent burns.
Mwaka has since been buried at his village while the sister is still admitted at the hospital in a critical condition.
The district commissioner said that the fire was sparked by the boiling cooking oil which burst into flames and later engulfed the grass thatched house.
He said that the deceased got trapped in the burning house as he tried to rescue his sister and other relatives who were inside.
The relatives were rescued by the neighbours who broke part of the wall of the house.
Police officers who later rushed to the scene, took the victims to Chienge District Hospital.