New Zealand man jailed for sharing video of mass shooting: media

Date:

Share post:

Wellington – A New Zealand man was sentenced to 21 months in prison on Tuesday for distributing videos of a massacre at two mosques in the city of Christchurch, media reported.

The lone gunman who killed 51 people in New Zealand’s worst peace-time mass shooting on March 15 broadcast the massacre live on Facebook.

Radio New Zealand said Philip Arps, 44, pleaded guilty to two charges of distributing objectionable material after sharing copies of the livestreamed video with about 30 people.

Arps also shared a video that was modified to add cross-hairs and a body count to the images of the massacre, the broadcaster said.

Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen O’Driscoll said that when Arps was asked for his opinion of the video, he re-plied it was “awesome”, Radio New Zealand said.

“It is clear from all the material before me that you have strong and unrepentant views towards the Muslim community,” it quoted O’Driscoll as saying during the sentencing.

New Zealand’s government has outlawed the sharing of videos of the massacre, which is punishable by up to 14 years in jail.

A self-described white supremacist, Arps was charged with “offensive behavior” and fined NZ$800 ($543) in 2016 after he delivered a bloodied pig’s head to Al Noor mosque, according to court documents.

The mosque was among the two targeted in the March massacre.

Last week, Australian Brenton Tarrant pleaded not guilty to 92 charges stemming from the massacre in the two mosques and will stand trial in May next year.

SOURCE: standardmedia

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

spot_img

Related articles

Kenyan teachers held over video of pupils simulating sex

Kenyan police have arrested six teachers from a primary school in the western part of the country over a video shared widely showing pupils simulating sexual acts as the teachers watch.

Zambians face fines for using phone while crossing roads

The authorities in Zambia have passed a law that prohibits pedestrians from crossing the road while wearing headsets or talking on a mobile phone.

Kenya opposition leader faces lawsuit over secret video claim

Kenya's former electoral commission boss has threatened to take legal action against the opposition leader after the politician alleged that the poll team, including the chairman, visited his home during last year's closely fought election, local media report.

Fuel price rise in Cameroon as subsidies scrapped

Fuel prices in Cameroon will rise by about 15% from Wednesday after the government agreed to pressure from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to cut fuel subsidies.