Friday, April 12, 2024
HomeAfricaNamibians die after eating suspected toxic porridge

Namibians die after eating suspected toxic porridge

Thirteen people have died in a span of three days and four others have been admitted to hospital in critical condition after eating suspected toxic food in Namibia.

Local media report that all are from a household of 22 people in Kayova village, in north-eastern Kavango region.

Most of those who died were children and are reported to have been in desperate need of food.

State broadcaster NBC quoted the health ministry as saying that the family had consumed porridge made with pearl millet flour and pounded fermented sediment from a homemade beverage.

The ministry has sent a team of workers to provide psycho-social support and counselling to the bereaved family.

Samples of the porridge have reportedly been sent to South Africa to test for food poisoning.

BBC

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments

Observer. on SEX PILLS IN WATER
Dr. I.P.A. Manning on THE BAN OF POACHERS IN ZAMBIA
Lulumbi on EXPENSIVE WORSHIP
Patrick Bwalya on THE ALEX CHOLA FACT-FILE
Patrick BWALYA on DRIVER HACKED, LEFT FOR DEAD