Colonel Mamady Doumbouya emerged Sunday as leader of the coup d’etat that toppled the 11 year-old government of President Alpha Conde.
Here are some 12 quick facts on the leader of Guinean junta.
- There is a wide gap in the age of Conde and Doumbouya. The military officer is in his forties, while Conde is 83.
- He is married to a European woman and they have three children
- He was until today, the boss of the Group of Special Forces of the Guinean army.
- He was a graduate of the School of War, with more than fifteen years military experience.
- He had been on UN military mission to Afghanistan, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Central African Republic
- Doumbouya has also had military training in Israel, Cyprus, United Kingdom.
- In Israel, he completed the operational protection specialist training at the International Security Academy.
- He also completed the unit commanders training course at the Infantry Application School (EAI – Senegal) , the training of staff officer (EEML – Libreville) and the Paris War School.
- His training has equipped him to be able to identify and defuse risky situations by remaining calm in the face of a hostile environment and extreme pressure.
- The head of the Special Forces Group adapts and improvises to any situation that requires self-control, risk assessment and rapid decision-making.
- Commander Doumbouya holds a Master 2 (bac + 5) defense and industrial dynamics at the University panthéon Assas Paris ll. Defense expert in management, command and strategy.
- He was also a Commondo instructor at the foreign legion in France on risk assessment and rapid decision making.