A BLACK Lives Matter activist fighting for her life after being shot in the head received death threats – but police don’t believe it was a targeted attack.
Sasha Johnson, 27, was “brutally” attacked in Peckham, South East London, on Sunday morning, the Taking the Initiative Party (TTIP) said.
The party claim the horror came after Sasha, who helped organise last summer’s BLM protests, received “numerous death threats as a result of her activism”.
But cops have since said they don’t believe the shooting was targeted and nothing suggests she received “credible death threats”.
The party said in a statement: “It is with great sadness that we inform you that our own Sasha Johnson has been brutally attacked and sustained a gunshot wound to her head.
“She is currently in intensive care and in a critical condition. The attack happened in the early hours of this morning, following numerous death threats as a result of her activism.
“Sasha has always been actively fighting for black people and the injustices that surround the black community, as well as being both a member of BLM and a member of Taking the Initiative Party’s Executive Leadership Committee.
“Sasha is also a mother of two and a strong, powerful voice for our people and our community.
“Let’s all come together and pray for Sasha, pray for her recovery and show our support to her family and loved ones. #prayforsashajohnson.”
Police were scrambled to the shooting, which was close to a house party, at around 3am yesterday.
Mum-of-three Sasha, who organised the BLM protests last year, was found suffering from gunshot wounds.
She was rushed to hospital where she remains in a critical condition.
BLM UK said they will be holding a vigil outside the hospital at 3pm today.
Detective Chief Inspector Jimi Tele said: “This was a shocking incident that has left a young woman with very serious injuries. Our thoughts are with her family who are being provided with support at this terribly difficult time.
“If you saw anything suspicious in the Consort Road area in the early hours of Sunday morning or if you have heard information since that could help detectives, it is crucial that you get in touch.”
Sasha, the self-styled “Black Panther of Oxford”, had previously called for people accused of racism to be put on a sex offenders-style “race offenders register”.
The youth worker and cafe owner gained attention over summer as a prominent figure at a number of BLM protests, and has since helped to found the Taking the Initiative Party.
She serves on the party’s executive committee as the member in charge of activism.
Speaking to MailOnline about the party’s proposals, Sasha said the race offences list would be intended to protect minority groups from racist abuse and other discriminatory behaviour.
“It’s similar to the sex offenders register,” she said.
“If you were to be racially abusive to someone, [the register] would question whether someone is fit enough to hold a particular job where their bias could influence another person’s life.”
She said that being placed on the list would stop people from being able to work in “certain fields” or even live in certain areas.
“If you live in a majority-coloured neighbourhood you shouldn’t reside there because you’re a risk to those people,” she said.
“Just like if a sex offender lived next to a school he would be a risk to those children.”
She went on to call for reparations to be made to black people in Britain via tax breaks, and also voiced support for the defunding of police departments, although TTIP has ruled out the latter.