Libya: Air raid kills dozens at Tripoli migrant detention centre

Date:

Share post:

At least 40 killed and dozens more wounded in attack on detention centre in Tripoli suburb blamed on Haftar’s forces.


At least 40 people have been killed in an air raid at a detention centre for refugees and migrants in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, according to health and emergency officials.

Malek Mersek, a spokesman for the state emergency medical services, said 80 others were wounded in the attack late on Tuesday.

The centre, which is located next to a military camp in the eastern suburb of Tajoura, houses more than 600 people, but the part that was hit held some 150 male refugees and migrants from African countries such as Sudan, Eritrea and Somalia.

The United Nations-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) blamed the raid on the forces of Libyan renegade General  Khalifa Haftar, whose self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA) has been  fighting  to seize Tripoli for the past three months.

“This crime came after the statements of the air force commander of Haftar’s Libyan National Army, Muhammad al-Manfour, and therefore it is he who bears its legal and moral responsibility,” Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha told al-Wasat state radio.

On Monday, Manfour said aerial bombardment will be stepped up because “traditional means” to “liberate Tripoli” had been exhausted, and urged residents to stay away from what he called “confrontation areas”.

Air raid on Libya migrant camp in Tripoli

Emergency workers recover bodies after the air attack killed dozens [Mahmud Turkia/AFP]

Reporting from the scene after the air raid, Al Jazeera’s Mahmoud Abdelwahed said rescuers were searching for survivors as ambulances rushed in to transfer those wounded to medical centres.

“It’s very tragic here, dead bodies are still under the rubble,” he said.

“This is not the first time that Haftar forces have targeted the centre. It came under attack in April when Haftar’s forces began their campaign to capture Tripoli,” Al Jazeera’s Abdelwahed said.

“Military sources in the government say Haftar’s forces are committing war crimes by targeting civilians and residential areas.”

Inhuman conditions

Pictures published by Libyan officials showed African migrants undergoing surgery in a hospital after the attack.

Libya is a key departure point for migrants from Africa and Arab countries trying to reach Italy by boat, but many get picked up by the Libyan coastguard supported by the European Union.

Air raid on Libya migrant camp in Tripoli

Centre officials blamed the raid on Haftar’s forces [Mahmud Turkia/AFP]

Thousands are being held in government-run detention centres in what human rights groups say are often inhuman conditions.

Tajoura, east of Tripoli’s centre, is home to several military camps of forces allied to Tripoli-based GNA.

An LNA official denied the forces had hit the detention centre, saying militias allied to Tripoli had shelled it after a precision air raid by the LNA on a camp, according to Reuters news agency.

The LNA, which controls much of eastern and southern Libya,  has failed to take Tripoli in three months of fighting and last week lost its main forward base in Garyan, which was taken back by Tripoli forces.

“Haftar forces have intensified air strikes after they lost strategic city of Garyan last week,” Abdelwahed said.

The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) said it was “extremely concerned” over reports of the attack on the migrant centre.

“UNHCR is extremely concerned about news of air strikes targeting Tajoura detention centre east of Tripoli, and accounts of refugees and migrants deceased,” it tweeted. “Civilians should never be a target.”

The UN’s mission in Libya has said around 3,500 migrants and refugees held in detention centres near the combat zone are at risk.

Libya has been wracked by chaos since 2011, when longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi was killed during the Arab Spring uprising.

Who's fueling the fighting in Libya?

INSIDE STORY

Who’s fueling the fighting in Libya?

SOURCE: AL JAZEERA AND NEWS AGENCIES


LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

spot_img

Related articles

Grave robber hunt launched in SA after corpse stolen

Police in South Africa have launched an investigation and appealed for witnesses following the theft of a corpse from a grave in the northern province of Limpopo.

Kambwili finally arrested

Chshimba Kambwili was yesterday arrested and denied bond for unlawful assembly after heavily armed police officers stormed, yet again, his residence after failing to have him arrested over the weekend.

Ex-husband who never contributed to household gets nothing in divorce

A now divorced man has lost out on his portion of his wife’s state pension, their house and all of which formed part of their joint estate because he never contributed towards the household.

Street vendor offered cash for organs – Old Bailey

A Nigerian senator is on trial charged with exploiting a 21-year-old to come to London and donate a kidney.