World Food Programme announces partial suspension of Yemen aid

Date:

Share post:

The UN agency says decision will apply in Sanaa and was taken to prevent diversion of food away from vulnerable people.

The World Food Programme (WFP) announced on Thursday the “partial suspension” of aid to Yemen‘s capital Sanaa, controlled by Houthi rebels, citing problems with “diversion of food” from the neediest.

The suspension would initially target Sanaa city only, affecting 850,000 people, the United Nations agency said in a statement. But nutrition programmes will remain in place for malnourished children, pregnant women and nursing mothers.

Ultimately, the suspension will affect all areas in Yemen “under the control of the Sanaa-based authorities”.

The WFP said its decision was taken after negotiations stalled on an agreement “to introduce controls to prevent the diversion of food away from some of the most vulnerable people in Yemen,” adding “some individuals seek to profit by preying on the vulnerable.”

“WFP has been seeking the support of the Sanaa-based authorities to introduce a biometric registration system that would prevent diversion and protect the Yemeni families we serve, ensuring food reaches those who need it most,” said the agency.

“The integrity of our operation is under threat and our accountability to those we help has been undermined.”

Humanitarian crisis

Saudi Arabia and its allies intervened in Yemen in 2015 to bolster the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi after the Houthis seized much of the country, including the capital.

Coalition-backed forces have retaken much of the south but Sanaa and most of the populous central highlands remain in rebel hands.

The Yemen conflict has killed tens of thousands of people since March 2015, according to the World Health Organization.

The fighting has triggered what the UN describes as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, with 3.3 million people displaced and 24.1 million – more than two-thirds of the population – in need of aid.

“Too many Yemenis have suffered for too long during this ongoing conflict. We will continue to seek cooperation from the Sanaa-based authorities and we remain optimistic that a way forward can be found,” said the WFP.

“We are ready to immediately resume food distributions once we reach agreement on an independent beneficiary identification exercise and the roll out of a biometric registration system.”

SOURCE: AFP NEWS AGENCY

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

spot_img

Related articles

Kenyan teachers held over video of pupils simulating sex

Kenyan police have arrested six teachers from a primary school in the western part of the country over a video shared widely showing pupils simulating sexual acts as the teachers watch.

Zambians face fines for using phone while crossing roads

The authorities in Zambia have passed a law that prohibits pedestrians from crossing the road while wearing headsets or talking on a mobile phone.

Kenya opposition leader faces lawsuit over secret video claim

Kenya's former electoral commission boss has threatened to take legal action against the opposition leader after the politician alleged that the poll team, including the chairman, visited his home during last year's closely fought election, local media report.

Fuel price rise in Cameroon as subsidies scrapped

Fuel prices in Cameroon will rise by about 15% from Wednesday after the government agreed to pressure from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to cut fuel subsidies.