Handball teams called to camp

569

FRANCIS CHIPALO writes

@SunZambian

TWO handball teams have been called to camp ahead of this year’s International Handball Federations (IHF) preliminaries to be held in South Africa, says Handball Association of Zambia (HAZ)

Banda said the exact dates for the tournament were yet to be released following  the pulling out of Botswana.

In an interview with the Sun Sports in Lusaka yesterday, Banda said the association had intensified training at the Olympic Youth Development Centre (OYDC) in Lusaka.

“We are preparing the under-17 and under-20 girls who are going to South Africa in May this year and so far so good,” Banda said.

The handball chief explained that training for both teams were going on well despite being done only at weekends.

“We go in camp on weekends for training because most of our players are school going pupils but the preparations have however intensified,” he said.

And Banda also said that two senior teams, one male and one female have also started training ahead of the qualifiers to be held from the 18th and the 23rd of March, 2019.

He also said that the association would on March 9 and 10 start championship competitions that would see local clubs across Zambia battle it out in what he described as part of the youth and women’s celebrations.

“As you can see we have a packed calendar for the sport and we hope stakeholders will come on board and help us with logistics as we are basically preparing four teams in total,” said Banda.

And Banda said the association had also started preparations for the men’s and women’s senior teams for the All -Africa Game qualifiers to be held in March either in Zambia or Zimbabwe as original hosts Botswana have pulled out.

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here